View Profile KOLANI

21 Movie Reviews

thought it felt similar to cock fight! of course it was none other than steve ly!

Tom's VA does a good impression, but he can't really act. As for Edd, he works great! Though it feels like George is too embarrassed to actually scream and that comes off a little cringe. Sound design lacks impact, it all feels really surface level and "that'll do". Def get someone who specializes in that if you can, there are folks right here on newgrounds that do it great!
Also, the timing for certain jokes and when characters speak feels a lil muddy.

As for the animation, amazing! It captures the feel of the old cartoons great. I absolutely adored the part where the rabbit was just kinda pressin it's claws together, got me laughin!

The writing here was good, but there were some jokes that felt like they were subversive for no reason though, like "haha you thought we were gonna make a pun but NO. NO PUNS. GOTCHA". Idk it just doesn't feel natural and pulls me out of the toon, feels more like you guys poking fun rather than the characters actually talking. This kinda stems from a greater problem I feel here where it seems like you guys are trying to win the fans over with a ton of references. I honestly don't quite know how I feel about that, but it just kinda makes parts of this episode feel a little... pandering?
Another thing I wanna say that I quite enjoyed, that caters to the fans but doesn't feel out of place, is the side arc Eduardo is having. I love how natural it feels! The way he's feelin right now totally makes sense and his reaction to the bunny was great. Honestly made me feel somethin there.

Other than that? I don't have much else to say! I enjoyed the episode overall, but it definitely feels like you guys are warming up here. Can't wait to see what the whole crew will come to achieve with time and more practice with making the show!

there's a lot of dead air here. way too many long pauses and reliance on audio gags/memes. the voice acting is kinda amateurish and the art doesn't really convey how the characters feel. pretty lazy since it just feels like a bunch of pngs plastered together. idk if you could even call this animation, it's basically just a powerpoint slide show

SullyboyDraws responds:

Very legitimate criticism. It's kinds hard to describe but the idea of the series is to have the quality gradually increase from something that looks like it was directed by a 9-year old (The first episode) to eventually being fully animated and such. The 2nd episode is almost done, and is much much shorter than this one, but is much better quality, so I hope you'll stick around to give us a second chance!

Thank you so much for the constructive criticism btw, helps us improve our shit :)

2 Game Reviews

I had already played this game, thought it was meh, but I saw the trans rights medal and came back for it

The art is cute and I get what you were going for, but I think you should have worked on this some more. The way you navigate through the game is weird. I thought I would be able to click on certain text boxes to choose that train of thought but no, I have to click the empty box next to it, like what even??? Then you have all this white space and sometimes no way to go back to the start without refreshing the page and you just have to madly click around to find some panels to follow so you can get back to the beginning, but then that just spoils the experience of other routes that could have been interesting had I been able to find my way there naturally. Now those are my gripes with the controls, I can't really say much about the story since the experience was kinda ruined by the bad and unintuitive navigation, but I really think you're onto something and that you could create an amazing experience if you put a little more time into the development of this.

6 Audio Reviews

honestly, the first 3/4 of this episode were pretty awkward and ubearable because psychogoldfish just spent most of the runtime talking about his own game and his own experience with coming back to flash. it was interesting at times, but what made it really annoying was when he would bring on a guest with barely any warning, expect them to just be comfortable while he talked over them a lot and mostly asked what felt like rhetorical questions. Not only that, but after he brought one guest on, he'd leave them there and just bring someone else in, this wasn't too bad since PG was still doing most of the talking...

then Xinxinix came on and did what xin does, he asked a bomb ass question that got the conversation GOING somewhere, somehow the atmosphere just changed and the devs that for most of this time seemed to be really introverted and unwilling to talk too much, started getting PASSIONATE. In the last 30 minutes of the interview, the podcast felt like how it should have the whole time. Though things did get a little hairy when the devs got so passionate and into the convo they started talking over each other.

Bottom line, this episode needed to be way better organized for how big it was and how many guests it had, not to mention how much there was to talk about. There was barely any mention of the winners and we didn't get to hear much from Tom. I love Josh, I love how much he knows about gamedev and newgrounds history and he's genuinely a really nice guy, but he's gotta step up his hosting skills. Ask better questions, and let the guests take the reigns if you have em.

Sidenote, the lack of good questions at the start is probably why Jeff left, he was just kinda being ignored the whole time.

PsychoGoldfish responds:

I wasn't going to respond to this initially because everything here is 100% fair and well said.

In fact, that's WHY I decided to respond, so you guys know that we hear you and appreciate the feedback, even when it's rough.

As you deduced, I'm not really comfortable being a solo host. I brought Tom and Jeff on to be my wingmen, and totally failed to really let them know they had free reign to guide the show with me, and expected them to just fill the role my usual cohost fill. That was pretty unfair, and it's obvious they are even less comfortable than I am in the role.

Xin is the man. Dude can talk all day, and is passionate about everything! But he (and everyone else who normally edits the show) are also really busy, so another thing that really hurt this episode was our decision to not do high quality editing.

All the awkward pauses where we stop talking and hope someone else will say something normally get cut out of each episode, so I tend to take advantage of that and leave long pauses so people know they can say something. We hadn't made the call to not cut those yet when we recorded this, so they are SUPER obvious.

On the plus side, I have ZERO desire to solo any more episodes, so you can all relax and enjoy me just being the guy in the back making sarcastic remarks and calling Xin an idiot, where I belong!

HOW DID I NOT SEE THIS, YOU NEED TO SING OVER IT BRO

Hey, I love this track! Mind if I use it in a cartoon I'm doing for a Christmas collab this year?

25 Art Reviews

ew, you date females? good for you man <3

Pyronator responds:

I know I should be ashamed... but I’m not >:)

the animation is cute! but if I had to critique something, I'd say there's no anticipation for the jump

ayekerik responds:

thanks for the feedback!

this is great! I love this so much!

- COMMISSIONS OPEN -
I make funni movies and draw goofy lil faces

Kolani Koralstar @KOLANI